The Singapore O-Level Higher Chinese Examination is similar in nature to the Ordinary Chinese Examination, but with some differences in difficulty. Below is a detailed introduction, hoping it will be helpful to everyone.
Target of Assessment
The examination is designed for students pursuing both the Express and Normal Academic tracks in secondary education.
Objectives of Assessment
Ability to comprehend narrative, expository, argumentative, and practical language materials at an appropriate level.
Proficiency in engaging in effective communication with others on complex topics and delivering concise speeches based on given topics.
Capability to read narrative, expository, argumentative, and practical language materials at an appropriate level, with a focus on literary appreciation.
Competence in writing narrative, expository, argumentative, and practical compositions, as well as simple literary creations.
Listening, oral reporting, discussions, vocabulary recognition, language application, reading comprehension, and writing.
Paper 1: Writing (80 marks)
Candidates are required to write two compositions, one practical and one general. The practical composition typically includes an email, blog post, or online forum content, accounting for 20 marks (10% of total), with a minimum word count of 220. The general composition may involve narrative, expository, and argumentative writing (including speeches) and carries 60 marks (30% of total), with a minimum word count of 500. The total marks for Paper 1 is 80 (40% of total).
Paper 2: Language Application and Reading Comprehension (80 marks)
This paper comprises several components: A Passage Completion (one passage, multiple-choice), B Error Correction (one passage, free-response), Reading Comprehension I (one passage, multiple-choice and free-response), Reading Comprehension II (two passages, free-response), and Fragment Abbreviation (condensing paragraphs from Reading Comprehension II into approximately 80 words). The marks for each component are distributed as follows: A - 10 marks (5%), B - 10 marks (5%), Reading Comprehension I - 10 marks (5%), Reading Comprehension II - 38 marks (19%), and Fragment Abbreviation - 12 marks (6%). The total marks for Paper 2 is 80 (40% of total).
Paper 3: Oral Examination (40 marks)
The oral examination typically includes oral reporting and discussions on topics related to personal life, family, school, daily activities, society, and international events. Each component carries 20 marks (10% of total). The total marks for Paper 3 is 40 (20% of total).
(Source of Information: Singapore Ministry of Education official website, English version not available at the moment)
After reviewing today's content, do you now have a clearer understanding of the Singapore O-Level Chinese exam? If you wish to learn more about the Singapore O-Level Chinese exam, you can contact HanTok customer service to leave a message and obtain more relevant information!